Building a Health History
Effective communication is vital to constructing an accurate and detailed patient history. A patient’s health or illness is influenced by many factors, including age, gender, ethnicity, and environmental setting. As an advanced practice nurse, you must be aware of these factors and tailor your communication techniques accordingly. Doing so will not only help you establish rapport with your patients, but it will also enable you to more effectively gather the information needed to assess your patients’ health risks.
For this Discussion, you will take on the role of a clinician who is building a health history for one of the following new patients:
· 76-year-old Black/African-American male with disabilities living in an urban setting
· Adolescent Hispanic/Latino boy living in a middle-class suburb
· 55-year-old Asian female living in a high-density poverty housing complex
· Pre-school aged white female living in a rural community
· 16-year-old white pregnant teenager living in an inner-city neighborhood
With the information presented in Chapter 1 in mind, consider the following:
· How would your communication and interview techniques for building a health history differ with each patient?
· How might you target your questions for building a health history based on the patient’s age, gender, ethnicity, or environment?
· What risk assessment instruments would be appropriate to use with each patient?
· What questions would you ask each patient to assess his or her health risks?
· Select one patient from the list above on which to focus for this Discussion.
· Identify any potential health-related risks based upon the patient’s age, gender, ethnicity, or environmental setting that should be taken into consideration.
· Select one of the risk assessment instruments presented in Chapter 1 or Chapter 26 of the course text, or another tool with which you are familiar, related to your selected patient.
· Develop at least five targeted questions you would ask your selected patient to assess his or her health risks and begin building a health history.
Questions to be addressed in my paper:
1. A description of the interview and communication techniques you would use with your selected patient.
2. Explain why you would use these techniques.
3. Identify the risk assessment instrument you selected, and justify why it would be applicable to the selected patient.
4. Provide at least five targeted questions you would ask the patient.
5. Summary with Conclusion
1) 2-3 pages (addressing the 5 questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.
3) Make headings for each question.
· Ball, J. W., Dains, J. E., Flynn, J. A., Solomon, B. S., & Stewart, R. W. (2015). Seidel’s guide to physical examination (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby.
o Chapter 1, “The History and Interviewing Process” (pp. 1–21)
This chapter explains the process of developing relationships with patients in order to build an effective health history. The authors offer suggestions for adapting the creation of a health history according to age, gender, and disability.
o Chapter 26, “Recording Information” (pp. 616–631)
This chapter provides rationale and methods for maintaining clear and accurate records. The authors also explore the legal aspects of patient records.
· Sullivan, D. D. (2012). Guide to clinical documentation (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis.
o Chapter 1, “Medicolegal Principles of Documentation” (pp. 1–12 and abbreviations, pp. 18)
o Chapter 2, “The Comprehensive History and Physical Exam” (pp. 19–36)
· Deeks, A., Lombard, C., Michelmore, J., & Teede, H. (2009). The effects of gender and age on health related behaviors. BMC Public Health, 9, 213–220.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This article describes a study that sought to determine the effects of gender and age on health-related behaviors. In the study, the authors also investigated the effects of screening practices, health beliefs, and perceived future health needs.
· Delpierre, C., Lauwers-Cances, V., Datta, G. D., Berkman, L., & Lang, T. (2009). Impact of social position on the effect of cardiovascular risk factors on self-rated health. American Journal of Public Health, 99(7), 1278–1284.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This study assessed the influence of education level on the association between self-rated health and cardiovascular risk factors. The authors explain their methods and results, and they provide recommendations for similar studies in different countries and cultures.
· Lee, D. W., Neumann, P. J., & Rizzo, J. A. (2010). Understanding the medical and nonmedical value of diagnostic testing. Value in Health, 13(2), 310–314.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
The authors of this article detail their attempts to develop a framework for defining the potential value of diagnostic testing. The authors also discuss the implications of their framework for health care delivery systems.
· University of Michigan Medical School. (2003). Geriatric functional assessment.
Retrieved from http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/HGD/GeriatricFunctionalAssess.pdf
This article provides an exercise that emphasizes accurate functional status assessments and effective communication with older patients. The authors recommend tools and techniques to be used when caring for older patients.
· LeBlond, R. F., Brown, D. D., & DeGowin, R. L. (2009). DeGowin’s diagnostic examination (9th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw- Hill Medical.
o Chapter 2, “History Taking and the Medical Record” (pp. 15–33)
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.