ACCT 324 Federal Tax Accounting I
Week 6 Discussion Questions
What property exchanges are taxable? Why do you think they are taxable?
Week 6 Discussion Question 2
What property exchanges are nontaxable? Why do you think they are nontaxable?
Week 6 Quiz
1. Question : (TCO 6) Alice owns land with an adjusted basis of $305,000, subject to a mortgage of $175,000. Real estate taxes are $4,500 per calendar year and are payable on December 31. On April 1, 2010, Alice sells her land subject to the mortgage for $325,000 in cash, a note for $300,000, and property with a fair market value of $60,000. What is the amount realized?
2. Question : (TCO 6) Katie sells her personal use automobile for $15,000. She purchased the car three years ago for $31,000. What is Katie’s recognized gain or loss?
3. Question : (TCO 6) The holding period of property acquired by gift may begin on:
4. Question : (TCO 6) Tobin inherited 100 acres of land on the death of his father in 2010. A federal estate tax return was filed, and the land was valued at $150,000 (its fair market value at the date of the death). The father had originally acquired the land in 1963 for $12,000 and, prior to his death, had made permanent improvements of $3,000. What is Tobin’s basis in the land?
5. Question : (TCO 6) The basis of personal use property converted to business use is:
6. Question : (TCO 6) If the taxpayer qualifies under § 1033 (nonrecognition of gain from an involuntary conversion), makes the appropriate election, and the amount reinvested in replacement property is less than the amount realized, then realized gain is:
7. Question : (TCO 11) A taxpayer receives stock as a gift from his uncle. The adjusted basis of the stock is $10,000 and the fair market value is $17,000. The taxpayer trades the stock for bonds with a fair market value of $15,000 and $2,000 cash. What is the taxpayer’s recognized gain and the basis for the bonds?
8. Question : (TCO 11) A taxpayer exchanges a warehouse for a building she will use as an office building. The adjusted basis of the warehouse is $600,000, and the fair market value of the office building is $350,000. In addition, the taxpayer receives cash of $150,000. What is the recognized gain or loss and the basis of the office building?
9. Question : (TCO 11) An office building with an adjusted basis of $320,000 was destroyed by fire on December 30, 2010. On January 11, 2011, the insurance company paid the owner $450,000. The fair market value of the building was $500,000, but under the coinsurance clause, the insurance company is responsible for only 90 percent of the loss. The owner reinvested $410,000 in a new office building that was smaller than the original office building. What is the recognized gain and the basis of the new building if § 1033 (nonrecognition of gain from an involuntary conversion) is elected?
10. Question : (TCO 11) Virginia, who is single, sells her principal residence (adjusted basis of $150,000) on January 5, 2010 for $380,000. She has owned and occupied it as her principal residence for 20 years. She incurs a realtor’s commission of $22,000 and legal fees of $5,000. On January 3, 2010, Virginia purchases a townhouse for $300,000 and uses it as her principal residence. Because it was not near a convenience store, she sells the townhouse on December 20, 2010 for $330,000. She incurs a realtor’s commission of $18,000 and legal fees of $4,000. She buys a house on December 1, 2010 for $250,000 and uses it as her principal residence. What is Virginia’s recognized gain on the sale of each house and her adjusted basis for the house purchased on December 1, 2010?
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.