Please submit to the Week 3 Experiment dropbox no later than Sunday midnight.
SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES FOR WEEK 1 EXPERIMENT ASSIGNMENT
· Experiment 3 Exercise 1 – Diffusion: Movement of Solutes across a Membrane
· Experiment 3 Exercise 2 – Osmosis: Movement of Water across a Membrane
Experiment 3 Exercise 1: Diffusion – Movement of Solutes across a Membrane
We will be using dialysis tubing to simulate a semipermeable membrane. This tubing allows small molecules (e.g., water, ions, glucose) to pass while preventing large molecules (e.g., macromolecules like proteins, starch, glycogen) from moving across. Be sure you have read over the suggested material before starting this exercise and that you have reviewed the following animations:
A. The dialysis bag we will use is permeable to water and small molecules (e.g., less than 500 g/mol) and impermeable to large molecules (e.g., more than 500 g/mol).
B. The dialysis bag is filled with a mixture of glucose (molecular weight = 180 g/mol) and protein (molecular weight = 10,000 g/mol) dissolved in water. A small subsample of the dialysis bag contents is saved and will be used in Step 4.
C. The dialysis bag is then placed into a beaker of water. A small subsample of beaker water is also saved and is to be used in Step 4 as well.
The presence or absence of glucose and protein will be determined using indicators. Indicators change colors in the presence certain materials. The two tests that we’ll use are the Benedict’s test for simple sugars (e.g., glucose) and theBiuret test for the presence of proteins.
· If glucose is present, the Benedict’s indicator will turn green. If no glucose is present, the solution will be blue.
· If protein is present, the Biuret indicator will turn violet. If the solution remains clear, then no protein is present.
4. The subsample of dialysis bag solution and the beaker water are tested for the presence of glucose and protein. SeeTable 1 below for the results.
5. The dialysis bag is then left in the beaker of water for 60 minutes.
6. At the end of 60 minutes, the dialysis bag solution and the beaker water are again tested for the presence of glucose and protein. See Table 1 below for the results.
Table 1. Results of testing of the dialysis bag and beaker contents at the beginning and end of the Experiment.
1. Summarize the results regarding the presence (+) or absence (-) of glucose and protein in the dialysis bag and beaker in Table 2 below (4 pts):
2. Explain the movement or lack of movement of protein and glucose across the dialysis bag membrane (4 pts)
3. Which solution, that in the bag or that in the beaker, is hypotonic compared with the protein solution (2 pts)?
4. What factors affect the movement of molecules across a semipermeable membrane? Which factor plays the greatest role in biological systems (4 pts)?
5. Briefly explain what active transport is and how it differs from passive transport, especially in terms of concentration gradients (4 pts).
Experiment 3 Exercise 2: Osmosis – The Movement of Water across a Membrane
Before starting, let’s see what you know about the terms hypotonic, isotonic and hypertonic. Examine the diagrams below. Note that the small green circles represent dissolved solutes like salt, glucose, and amino acids. You can assume that the additional space surrounding the solutes is water and that the tan area is INSIDE the cell.
1. Define each term below in terms of solute concentration outside compared to the inside of the cell. You do not need to explain which direction water will move (3 pts).
a. Hypotonic –
b. Isotonic –
c. Hypertonic –
1. Open the following website to get started:
The Biology Place. No Date. Osmosis: Movement of Water across Membranes
B. Read over the information presented and then Click on
C. Then, Click on . Read through the information presented and be sure to click on Animate beneath the illustration.
2. What concentration of salt is isotonic to animal cells (1 pts)?
3. When cells are in isotonic solution, is there movement of water into or out of the cell? If so, describe this movement (3 pts).
E. Read through the information presented and be sure to click on Animate beneath the illustration. When ready, answer the following question.
4. Describe the net movement of water molecules when cells are placed in a hypotonic solution. Explain why water moves this way (3 pts).
G. Read through the information presented and be sure to click on Animate beneath each of the illustrations. Answer the following questions. Your answers should incorporate the terminology used in the animations.
5. What happens to an animal cell when placed in a hypotonic solution (2 pts)?
6. What happens to plant cells when placed in a hypotonic solution? What accounts for the difference in outcomes between animal cells and plant cells (3 pts)?
8. Click on
I. Then, Read through the information presented and be sure to click on Animate beneath the illustration. Answer the following question.
7. Describe the net movement of water molecules when cells are placed in a hypertonic solution. Explain why water moves this way (3 pts).
10. Click on
K. Read through the information presented and be sure to click on Animate beneath the illustration. Answer the following questions.
8. Compare and contrast what happens to plant and animal cells when placed in a hypertonic solution. Be sure to use proper terminology (4 pts).
9. Based on what you learned in this exercise, explain why salt might make a good weed killer (3 pts).
Week 3 Experiment Grading Rubric
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.