Case 1: The Coming Epidemic
A Health Department report at a large US city has the mayor and her staff worried. One homeless person has contracted plague!
Staff employees who work at the mayor’s office building have noticed that the mayor and her senior associates are worried. There have been late meetings and the level of activity has increased. She has cancelled several scheduled events. No direct indication of a problem has been shared with the press. There are rumors that members of the press are calling “friends” in city government to find out what is happening.
You have just come from a meeting of your department, The City Department of Strategic Planning. Your job is to develop a comprehensive plan to handle a plague epidemic. So far only one person has contracted the deadly ailment. So, technically, no crisis has actually occurred yet. Here is a summary of what was discussed at the meeting:
· The homeless person who has plague has been in the city for about two weeks. He was living in the desert in New Mexico before he jumped on a freight train and wound up in your city.
· He was living in Skid Row with about fifty other people in a “flop house.”
· The flop house has been in legal trouble. This includes no exit lights, fire alarms not maintained, no sprinklers installed, complaints about mice, loud music, fights and garbage laying around the sidewalk. A recent police raid resulted in three arrests of residents for various crimes including outstanding warrants.
· No local hospitals have a record of treating a case of the plague.
· A small quantity of serum is stocked in a city storage facility, but it may have expired. Nobody in city government has ever seen the plague.
· The city hospitals owe a large sum to several pharmaceutical companies that manufacture plague medication.
· No one in city government has ever dealt with a major epidemic of any kind.
· This deals with the plague, not the corona virus.
Your boss – the head of this department – says he wants a complete plan that spells out:
· Specific steps to handle a possible epidemic
· Timeline to include deadlines
· Manpower Needs: This should spell out number of people and types of skills
· A high quality plan that the city can be proud of
The plan must also identify where help may be available from. The meeting discussed,
· Local hospitals, city and private
· Pharmaceutical companies
· International doctors who have dealt with this disease
· Facilities for treating those who contract the plague
· Gloves and other protective equipment
· A plan for controlling information. “Avoiding panic” was mentioned.
· Your boss stressed that the solution must be internal, not simply from Washington.
You were selected for this job because you have an MBA. MBAs are supposed to know how to devise a plan. Even though you have an MBA, you have never held a position of management responsibility in which success or failure depend on you. Your boss added these instructions:
· Focus on solving the problem not describing it.
· We must look competent, able to handle a difficult, unexpected crisis.
· Do not cede control to federal authorities. Even if that happens, they will be using local hospitals, doctors and other resources.
· Don’t forget obvious issues, for example,
preventing current medical personnel from getting the plague;
avoiding strong police action, which might cause people who had contact with the plague sufferer to leave town.
causing panic by posting notices and discussing plague openly in the news or elsewhere.
· Focus on creating a good plan. Do not define the history of plague!
· A specific plan does not describe the city’s strengths and weaknesses. It does not dump SWOT analysis on a medical crisis. It uses their strengths and weaknesses to build a plan for the future.
· Once you get a clear sense of what has to be done, give specific actions they should take to prevent or lessen the crisis.
· Note that preventing a crisis calls for one type of action. Lessening the severity of the crisis calls for a different type of actions.
· Make sure the plan is actionable. That means it is laid out over a period of time with clear direction. For example, month 1, do such and such. Month two, follow with these specific actions.
· Apply concepts from the course and feedback from assignments.
· Do not give superficial advice they could find on an Internet blog such as “acquire serum.” This is too general to be helpful. Avoid soppy advice such as “work with the government.”
· Do not bore city management with plague history or Wikipedia drivel. You will lose credibility.
· Read the case five times to understand your job.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.