This assessment requires you to write up and submit your work as a group. The purpose of this assessment is to critically analyse news media representations of academic research using unit concepts, research methods, and to assess the news representation in terms of values of accuracy, objectivity and legitimacy. Your group will choose one of three news media articles available (see below). Based on the information contained in the news article, you will need to search and locate the academic research quoted in the news media article using university library databases to access the research.
Your analysis will need to consider how the research has been translated from the original academic paper to the media article. In particular, discuss whether or not the research has been represented accurately, objectively and in a balanced manner. Evaluate whether the perspective is legitimate and whether or not the research is peer-reviewed. Discuss whether qualitative and quantitative research methods were used and whether this is represented in the news media article. You will need to include at least 3 references from the unit’s reading list as well as findings from your own supporting material. An academic study skills session (video) will be organised to support you with article and database search and, peer-review techniques. Group selection will be discussed in tutorials.
The assessment is carried out in a number of stages:
1. Choose one of the 3 news media articles (see below)
2. Based on the information contained in the news media article on the academic research, create a set of keywords to help guide your search for the research article (please note: article and database search techniques will be presented as part of a Study Skills video session facilitated by the Library).
3. Using your set of keywords search the journal databases to which the library university has access. Find the original research article and ascertain if the academic journal is peer-reviewed. (For example, use Ulrichsweb to check peer-reviewed status)
4. Critically analyse (compare/contrast & evaluate) the representation of the research in the news article.
5. Demonstrate whether or not the research has been represented accurately, objectively and in a balanced manner in the news article. Evaluate whether the perspective is legitimate (comparable with broadly shared values), or not.
6. Discuss whether qualitative and quantitative research methods were used and whether this is represented in the news media article.
7. Indicate whether academic research is peer-reviewed or not.
8. Include a minimum of 3 additional references from the Unit’s readings in addition to findings from your own supporting material. References are not included in the word
count. Use either the Harvard or APA referencing systems.
9. At the end of your piece include a list of References only of material cited in your essay. Do not include in your list of References material not cited in your essay.
10. Ensure all group members’ names, tutorial day/time, the referencing system used and word count are included at the beginning of your assignment before submitting it via the assignment dropbox on Canvas.
The length is 1000 words (+/- 10%) and should be typeset in Times New Roman or Arial, font size 12 with 1.5 or double line spacing. Your work will be scanned by anti-plagiarism software (URKUND).
Either Harvard or APA Referencing styles can be used in this assessment. In-text references are required.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
At Custom Writing, we believe in exemplary services that are fully geared toward customer satisfaction. That is why we don’t shy away from giving you the following guarantees;
Trusting us with your work is the best decision you have made, our pleasure lies in seeing you satisfied at 100%. If in the rear chance it happens that you are not satisfied, then know that we will equally not be satisfied. But worry not, our 30 days- Money back guarantee is all you need and that is what we promise you..Read more
We utilize profoundly equipped and gifted writers who produce unique papers liberated from any form of plagiarism. To guarantee this, we run all papers finished by our scholars through a Plagiarism checker to ensure uniqueness and originality. In any case, on the off chance that you have vulnerabilities about the originality or falsification of any paper we have finished and conveyed to you, please get in touch with us straight away. We will quickly investigate, and if the paper is seen as counterfeited, we will take suitable actions including but not limited to, revising the paper for free and in extreme cases we will activate the money back guarantee.Read more
We have an obligation deliver great and specially composed assignments. Our revision strategy endeavors to ensure total client satisfaction, comfort, and a genuine feelings of serenity. We make minor updates and corrections to the underlying request as part of our continuous assistance. However, revisions should just incorporate changes and alterations that were not effectively met, in the underlying request and that are inside the rules as per the current request structure..Read more
Our client's Data is an Integral part of our business but clearly, we are not in the business of offering our clients' very own data to others. We realize that you care how your online data is utilized and shared, we equally value your trust that we will do so cautiously and sensibly. We Promise to ensure the security of your own data during transmission by utilizing encryption conventions and programming. Likewise assist us with securing your information by not sharing your passwords and usernames.Read more
In submitting a request with us, you consent to the services we give. We will strive to take the necessary steps to convey a far reaching paper according to your prerequisites. Equally we depend on your cooperation to guarantee that we convey on this order.Read more