Case Study One –
You are currently working as a graduate accountant and are provided with the following information
from a client. The client, Joe, has the following income and expenses for the financial year ended 30
June 2019. Joe is employed as a manager of operations at a local transport company. In addition to
his employment Joe also operates a market stall selling wood carvings on the weekend.
• 45,000 Sales of wood carvings from the market stall
• 1,000 An anniversary gift from his employer for Joe’s 10th wedding anniversary
• 5,000 Bonus received from his employer for successful completion of large project
• 125,000 Salary received from his employer (including PAYG Withholding of $22,000)
• 5,000 Interest on Bank Deposits
• 10,000 Joe gambles on the horses and during the year had won $10,000 on betting
• 35,000 Sale of his personal motor vehicle (he brought the vehicle for $15,000)
• 25,000 Sale of shares (he brought the shares 13 months ago for $10,000)
• 1,000 Received Manager of the year award from the Institute of Managers
• 2,000 Rent on market stall for his business
• 5,000 Purchase of wood for carvings, Joe estimates in cost he has $2,000 in wood
as at 30 June 2019 as stock on hand and advises that as at 1 July 2018 his
wood stock at cost was $3,000.
• 800 Joe purchased steel capped work boots for $500, protective sunglasses for
$220, New jeans for $80 (which he also wears on the weekend)
• 1,500 Bookkeeping fees for the market stall business
• 12,000 Purchase of new carving tools for the market stall business
• 400 Cost of meals and entertainment that his employer did not reimburse
• 200 Train fares for travel to and from work
• 3,200 Rates on family home
• 900 Electricity for family home
• 1,000 Advertising packaging for market stall business
• 1,000 Purchase new table and counter for market stall
Joe does not have any children. Joe does have private health insurance. Joe also advises you that
he had carried forward tax losses from last year of $2,000 relating to his market stall. In addition to
the above Joe advises he does work from home as he attends to emails late night after dinner at least
4 nights a week.
College of Business and Law
• Determine which Income and Expenses are assessable income or allowable deductions.
Note you will need to cite legislative references, case law and tax rulings as applicable.
Emphasis is on providing substantiation for you reasoning to include as assessable income or
allowable deduction. Also refer to the relevant item number on the 2019 tax return where the
amount would be disclosed, i.e. (interest income is item 10). An Example format is provided
• Assume Joe is a resident for Australian taxation purposes, calculate his tax liability including
any tax offsets and levies.
Assessable Particulars Legislation, Case law, Rulings,
Item – 2019 Tax
Deductible Particulars Legislation, Case law, Rulings,
Item – 2019 Tax
During your meeting with Joe, he advises that his employer has offered him a position for 3 years in
Thailand. Joe seeks your advice on residence issues for Australian taxations purposes. In particular
Joe wants to understand impact on any Non Australian assets he owns (Joe currently has overseas
shares valued at $150,000 and a overseas property in Singapore valued at $1.5million). Joe also
wants to understand what tests will be applied to determine his residency.
(Part A 20 marks)
(Part B 5 marks)
Word Count: 1,000 – 2000 words
College of Business and Law
Discuss the difference between tax evasion and tax minimization. Consider when will the tax office
deny a deduction based on a taxpayer’s subjective purpose or intention in incurring the expenses.
Word Count: 500 words
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
At Custom Writing, we believe in exemplary services that are fully geared toward customer satisfaction. That is why we don’t shy away from giving you the following guarantees;
Trusting us with your work is the best decision you have made, our pleasure lies in seeing you satisfied at 100%. If in the rear chance it happens that you are not satisfied, then know that we will equally not be satisfied. But worry not, our 30 days- Money back guarantee is all you need and that is what we promise you..Read more
We utilize profoundly equipped and gifted writers who produce unique papers liberated from any form of plagiarism. To guarantee this, we run all papers finished by our scholars through a Plagiarism checker to ensure uniqueness and originality. In any case, on the off chance that you have vulnerabilities about the originality or falsification of any paper we have finished and conveyed to you, please get in touch with us straight away. We will quickly investigate, and if the paper is seen as counterfeited, we will take suitable actions including but not limited to, revising the paper for free and in extreme cases we will activate the money back guarantee.Read more
We have an obligation deliver great and specially composed assignments. Our revision strategy endeavors to ensure total client satisfaction, comfort, and a genuine feelings of serenity. We make minor updates and corrections to the underlying request as part of our continuous assistance. However, revisions should just incorporate changes and alterations that were not effectively met, in the underlying request and that are inside the rules as per the current request structure..Read more
Our client's Data is an Integral part of our business but clearly, we are not in the business of offering our clients' very own data to others. We realize that you care how your online data is utilized and shared, we equally value your trust that we will do so cautiously and sensibly. We Promise to ensure the security of your own data during transmission by utilizing encryption conventions and programming. Likewise assist us with securing your information by not sharing your passwords and usernames.Read more
In submitting a request with us, you consent to the services we give. We will strive to take the necessary steps to convey a far reaching paper according to your prerequisites. Equally we depend on your cooperation to guarantee that we convey on this order.Read more