Case Study 19: Foodborne Illness
Erin C. is a 27-year-old professional woman who describes a recent bout of “the 24-hour flu” she experienced after eating out with friends over the weekend. She reports feeling an upset stomach at work on Monday with an increase in symptoms that developed into severe abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, and some bloody diarrhea, continuing into the evening. She called her doctor the next morning and reported what she had eaten the day before she developed symptoms: 2 glasses of wine, broiled rare steak with mushroom sauce, baked potato with sour cream and butter, and an assorted greens salad with oil and vinegar dressing from the salad bar where she was dining with friends. Earlier on that same day, she had eaten leftovers from her refrigerator—a small pork chop, spinach salad, and a glass of milk from a local organic dairy.
1. Based on information in Table 19-1, which of Erin’s symptoms would cause you to suspect that she had a food-borne illness rather than the flu?
2. What foods that Erin ingested are frequent sources of food-borne illness?
3. Based on the information in this chapter, what questions would help you identify the likely cause of Erin’s food-borne illness?
4. Besides calling her doctor for persistent symptoms, what dietary measures are important for Erin’s recovery?
5. Knowing that she prefers to eat rare-cooked meat, what precautionary advice could you offer Erin in reference to Figure 19-4?
6. Based on this experience, suggest one practical action from each of the four simple rules outlined in the “How To” section on page 628 that may protect Erin from food-borne illness in the future.
Case Study 20: Food for a Low-Income Family
Sarah is a 30-year-old mother of two young children, ages 3 and 5. Her husband was recently disabled in a car accident and has been unable to work for 6 months. Sarah works part-time in her children’s preschool and her husband receives a monthly check for his disability. Medical expenses have wiped out the family’s savings and monthly expenses often exceed the couple’s income. Sarah tells her close friend that she is unable to provide balanced meals for her family because she often runs out of foods such as milk and fresh produce before payday. Her children receive a healthy lunch and snack at preschool and a couple of times in the past month Sarah and her husband have had to skimp on their meals at home to make sure the children were fed adequately. Sarah is worried that their limited resources may be affecting the nutritional health of her family.
1. Based on this family’s history, how would you classify their food insecurity according to Table 20-1?
2. Using the “How To” ideas on page 663, what are at least 3 practical suggestions that would help Sarah provide nutritious meals to her family at the lowest cost?
3. What programs mentioned in this chapter might this family be eligible for that could help improve their access to nutritious food?
4. Sarah’s church keeps an emergency food pantry for people in their community. List some low-cost non-perishable food suggestions that would provide maximum nutritional benefit to this family.
5. Sarah has recently qualified for the SNAP program. What nutrient-dense foods might she buy that would help stretch her food dollar and improve the overall quality of her family’s diet?
6. Plan a one-day menu with 3 meals and 1 snack for this family that incorporates your ideas from the previous questions.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.