DEP 2004 Life Cycle
Osteoporosis Homework Assignment
I always try to connect our course to whatever I am doing or observing on a daily basis, and one thing I enjoy is watching skilled athletes perform in almost any sport. Many athletes suffer bone fractures (sometimes severe) and yet they go on to impressive performances, often with just a few months of recovery time. What does it take to have strong bones that can recover fully and quickly from fractures? In the Physical Development module, I have posted a New York Times Personal Health article about osteoporosis, and how different athletic activities impact the likelihood of osteoporosis and bone problems. For this homework assignment, I want you to read the article and evaluate your lifestyle as it applies to risk of osteoporosis. Specifically:
Part 1: Diet. As you will read in the article, a diet rich in calcium is essential for good bone health. Do you eat a bone-healthy diet? For this part of the assignment:
· List everything you eat in one typical 24-hour period, then look up the calcium content for each food. The article provides a link to an online calculator of calcium content in a variety of foods. There are many other online calculators as well, and between them you should be able to find most of the foods you eat (hint – if you can’t find a food listed anywhere, it probably doesn’t have much calcium in it). To find other online calculators, simply type “calcium content in foods” in Google, and you’ll see several of them, including one for vegan diets. You might also find calcium content on the Nutrition Facts label of processed foods, although this will be listed in % of Daily Values, requiring you to do a little bit of arithmetic. List each food you consume, how much, and how much calcium (in milligrams) you got from each food. For example, your list might start with:
2 slices whole wheat toast – 60 mg.
1 tablespoon butter – 17 mg (this took a lot of digging to find, which I thought was strange because butter is a dairy product)
1 tablespoon grape jelly – 15 mg (also took some digging, then I remembered to just look on the jar)
vente Starbucks nonfat latte – 40 mg. (I am assuming 1 oz of skim milk in my latte)
As you can see, you’ll need to do some detective work, and some estimating, but give it your best shot.
· Add up all the calcium you consumed that day, and discuss how you are doing toward the recommended calcium intake for your gender and age. If you are well below where you should be, what can you realistically do to improve your calcium intake, and hence your bone health? Don’t worry about showing me that you eat a lousy diet – I’ve seen it all, including someone who ate nothing but Cheetos and Red Bull for a 24 hour period. But try to select a typical day for you – you’ll learn more about your bone health if you take this assignment seriously.
Part 2: Exercise. For the same typical day that you analyzed your diet, also analyze your physical activities.
· There are no calculations similar to what you do for calcium intake, but list your activity during a typical week and discuss it in terms of amount of time spent in each activity, amount of time doing impact activity (in which your bones are resisting gravity with pressure and hence producing bone) the extent to which your activity is continuous versus starting and stopping (as you will read in the article), and any other aspects of your physical activity that are relevant to the building of strong bones.
· Add up all the activity you do in a typical week (minutes), and discuss how you are doing toward the recommended physical activity recommendations for your gender and age.
· Discuss your physical activity in terms of how it may impact your bone health
*If you do not exercise in a typical week, that is ok. Discuss 1) How much is recommended for your gender and age, and 2) How incorporating certain activities into your daily routine might affect your bone health based on the article you read.
When you are finished listing and discussing the two sections (diet and physical activity), submit your written report through the submit button.
I don’t have an expectation on word count or page count. You should have a few sentences per discussion point, plus the lists. Write however much it takes to complete the assignment satisfactorily.
I hope you enjoy this assignment!
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Custom Writings Help is a Quality-Oriented Company in Online Writing as a result of hiring exceptional professionals to execute clients' tasks.
At Custom Writings Help,We understand the struggle of research paper writing, and that is why at Custom WritingS Help, we are all out to help you. We pride ourselves on having a team of clinical writers. The stringent and rigorous vetting process ensures that only the 'BEST' Writers are chosen for the job. We have highly qualified Ph.D. and MA writers working with us; we equally offer these experienced writers specific bonuses and incentives to make them deliver highly original, unique, and informative content at reasonably low prices.
Thesis Writing Service
Worlwide, Many Masters Students are struggling with Thesis Completion. A thesis is likely to be the longest and most challenging piece of work a student has ever completed. However, unlike essays and other assignments, a student can pick a particular interest topic and work on their initiative. Fortunately, we are there for you. At Custom Writings Help, you are assured of an authentic, imaginative, informative, linguistically great, and advantageous thesis that adheres to all your needs. So, why continue considering different writers when you have discovered the best in the field?
Not a single student can avoid writing custom papers. However, a total lack of experience, skills, and time makes it very hard to produce a superb writing piece. Therefore, if you are seeking professional help, turn to us. Our specialized and experienced writers compose a variety of model papers, including custom essays, college term papers, research papers, book reports, MBA essays, executive summaries, dissertations, Ph.D. theses, admission essays, and research proposals for college and university students at any level.
Most of the students disregard the critical principles of essay writing and compose papers below sensible guidelines. Therefore, with Custom Writings Help, one should not worry about his/her essay. Our Writers compose informative and engaging content on all complexities and topics. We write meaningful and smart essays while prioritizing all aspects that bring about a good grade, such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism, and conformance to guidelines.
Coourse Work Writing
Don't let the seemingly never-ending onslaught of writing assignments get you down. If you are looking where to get course work assistance online, the writers at Custom Writings Help are here to assist you with all of your writing needs. We undertake to unique delivery of papers that meet the professor's requirements. The content is proofread, edited, and checked plagiarism before submission to customers. No matter how big or small your work is, we will deliver on time. Try US Now! !
Dissertation Writing Service
High-Quality Dissertation Writing Services are rare. They require Ph.D. academicians – not easily found. However, are an exception. The years, time, and resources we have invested in the dissertation world has given us a competitive advantage over others. Choose to come to Custom Writings Help; You will find perfect Ph.D. consultants who have written hundreds of dissertations theses ready to help you. Let our dissertation-writing services help you craft your dissertation, for you are assured we will give you the results.