pH Scale Basics Remote Lab
(This lesson is designed for a student working remotely.)
This lab uses the pH Scale Basics simulation from PhET Interactive Simulations at University of Colorado Boulder, under the CC-BY 4.0 license.
Learning Goals: Students will be able to:
● Determine if a solution is acidic or basic using pH.
● Relate liquid color to pH.
● Predict if dilution and volume will increase, decrease or not change the pH
● Organize a list of liquids in terms of acid or base strength in relative order with supporting evidence.
Everyday Chemistry in your life:
1. List some common liquids that you think are acidic or basic. For example, do you think orange juice is acid or base? Why do you think each liquid is an acid or base?
a. orange juice is ( Acid or base) and (Why do you think so?)
b. #2 is ( Acid or base) and (Why do you think so?)
2. Do you think the amount of the liquid changes how acidic or basic it is? Explain your thinking.
3. What do you think adding water (dilution) changes how acidic or basic the liquid is? Explain your thinking.
Develop your understanding:
4. Use pH Scale Basics to test your ideas about some common things that are acids or bases.
a. Describe your tests and results.
b. Were all of the liquids you listed in #1 in the simulation? If not, research to find the pH and identify each as acid or base. If all your items were in the simulation, look up a few other common things. (cite references)
4. Experiment to check your ideas from #2 about how color or volume help identify whether something is acid, base, or neutral. Describe your tests and results with specific examples.
5. Experiment to check your ideas from #3 about whether dilution will increase, decrease or not change the pH.
a. Does every solution behave the same way?
b. Explain how you can use pH to help predict what dilution does to an acid or base solution.
6. Consider some common drinks.
Alkaline water 8.0, Fruit juice 6.8, Gatorade 3.0, Green tea 9.0, Gatorade 3.0, Vinegar 3.5,
a. Organize this list of foods with pH from most basic to most acidic.
b. Which will have a higher pH if you dilute it with water?
Test your understanding and self-check: For each question, predict your answer and support your answer with an explanation. Then use pH Scale Basics to verify and add screen captures to your explanation.
1. Prediction and explanation with support
2. Prediction and explanation with support
3. Prediction and explanation with support
4. Prediction and explanation with support
5. Prediction and explanation with support
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
At Custom Writing, we believe in exemplary services that are fully geared toward customer satisfaction. That is why we don’t shy away from giving you the following guarantees;
Trusting us with your work is the best decision you have made, our pleasure lies in seeing you satisfied at 100%. If in the rear chance it happens that you are not satisfied, then know that we will equally not be satisfied. But worry not, our 30 days- Money back guarantee is all you need and that is what we promise you..Read more
We utilize profoundly equipped and gifted writers who produce unique papers liberated from any form of plagiarism. To guarantee this, we run all papers finished by our scholars through a Plagiarism checker to ensure uniqueness and originality. In any case, on the off chance that you have vulnerabilities about the originality or falsification of any paper we have finished and conveyed to you, please get in touch with us straight away. We will quickly investigate, and if the paper is seen as counterfeited, we will take suitable actions including but not limited to, revising the paper for free and in extreme cases we will activate the money back guarantee.Read more
We have an obligation deliver great and specially composed assignments. Our revision strategy endeavors to ensure total client satisfaction, comfort, and a genuine feelings of serenity. We make minor updates and corrections to the underlying request as part of our continuous assistance. However, revisions should just incorporate changes and alterations that were not effectively met, in the underlying request and that are inside the rules as per the current request structure..Read more
Our client's Data is an Integral part of our business but clearly, we are not in the business of offering our clients' very own data to others. We realize that you care how your online data is utilized and shared, we equally value your trust that we will do so cautiously and sensibly. We Promise to ensure the security of your own data during transmission by utilizing encryption conventions and programming. Likewise assist us with securing your information by not sharing your passwords and usernames.Read more
In submitting a request with us, you consent to the services we give. We will strive to take the necessary steps to convey a far reaching paper according to your prerequisites. Equally we depend on your cooperation to guarantee that we convey on this order.Read more