Scope of Microbiology and Introduction to Infectious Disease
1. Define the following terms:
2. What type of microbe(s) is/are acellular?
3. What type of microbe(s) is/are prokaryotic?
4. What type of microbe(s) is/are eukaryotic?
5. Which of the following is not a subject of investigation by microbiologists?
f. All of the above are investigated by microbiologists
g. D and E are not agents investigated by microbiologists
6. Which of the following microorganisms lack a nucleus?
f. All of the above have a nucleus
g. A, B & C lack nuclei
h. B & C lack nuclei
7. Define the following terms:
8. Which of the following is the correct way to write the name of an organism using binomial nomenclature?
a. Genus species
b. Genus species
c. Genus Species
d. Species genus
9. Identify the following individuals’ contribution(s) to the field of microbiology:
Robert Hook: _________________________________________________________________________
Anton van Leeuwenhoek: _______________________________________________________________
Louis Pasteur: ________________________________________________________________________
Robert Koch: _________________________________________________________________________
Ignaz Semmelweiss: ____________________________________________________________________
Joseph Lister: _________________________________________________________________________
10. Define the following terms:
Cell theory: ________________________________________________________________________________
Biogenesis theory: __________________________________________________________________________
Aseptic Technique: _________________________________________________________________________
Pure Culture: ______________________________________________________________________________
Germ theory: ______________________________________________________________________________
11. What are Koch’s Postulates?
12. Are there limitations to Koch’s Postulates? If so, what are some examples?
13. Write a two examples of ways in which everyday life is affected by microbiology.
14. Define the following terms:
15. Explain the difference between resident and transient microflora.
16. When does colonization of a human begin?
17. Normal flora are said to participate in microbial antagonism. Which of the following best describes microbial
a. When normal flora become invasive.
b. When normal flora occupy a niche on the body, thus preventing potentially more severe pathogens from occupying that same niche.
c. When the host immune system works to inhibit the growth of normal flora.
d. Microbial antagonism is just another term for ‘opportunistic infection.’
18. Define the following terms:
Infectious dose: ___________________________________________________________________________
Opportunistic disease: ________________________________________________________________________
Sign (give an example): ________________________________________________________________________
Symptom (give an example): ___________________________________________________________________
Local infection: ______________________________________________________________________________
Focal infection: _____________________________________________________________________________
Systemic infection: ___________________________________________________________________________
Septic shock: ___________________________________________________________________________
19. Although members of the normal flora generally do not cause disease, under certain conditions they can become
opportunistic pathogens. When can normal flora become opportunistic pathogens?
20. Which of the following would be a sign?
b. Double vision
21. When bacteria spread throughout the body via blood, but don’t replicate in transit, this is best described as:
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
At Custom Writing, we believe in exemplary services that are fully geared toward customer satisfaction. That is why we don’t shy away from giving you the following guarantees;
Trusting us with your work is the best decision you have made, our pleasure lies in seeing you satisfied at 100%. If in the rear chance it happens that you are not satisfied, then know that we will equally not be satisfied. But worry not, our 30 days- Money back guarantee is all you need and that is what we promise you..Read more
We utilize profoundly equipped and gifted writers who produce unique papers liberated from any form of plagiarism. To guarantee this, we run all papers finished by our scholars through a Plagiarism checker to ensure uniqueness and originality. In any case, on the off chance that you have vulnerabilities about the originality or falsification of any paper we have finished and conveyed to you, please get in touch with us straight away. We will quickly investigate, and if the paper is seen as counterfeited, we will take suitable actions including but not limited to, revising the paper for free and in extreme cases we will activate the money back guarantee.Read more
We have an obligation deliver great and specially composed assignments. Our revision strategy endeavors to ensure total client satisfaction, comfort, and a genuine feelings of serenity. We make minor updates and corrections to the underlying request as part of our continuous assistance. However, revisions should just incorporate changes and alterations that were not effectively met, in the underlying request and that are inside the rules as per the current request structure..Read more
Our client's Data is an Integral part of our business but clearly, we are not in the business of offering our clients' very own data to others. We realize that you care how your online data is utilized and shared, we equally value your trust that we will do so cautiously and sensibly. We Promise to ensure the security of your own data during transmission by utilizing encryption conventions and programming. Likewise assist us with securing your information by not sharing your passwords and usernames.Read more
In submitting a request with us, you consent to the services we give. We will strive to take the necessary steps to convey a far reaching paper according to your prerequisites. Equally we depend on your cooperation to guarantee that we convey on this order.Read more